It seems only yesterday that I built my eco-friendly donkey stable, but it was six months ago, and now I have stripped all the brushwood exterior from it and rebuilt the structure to make an extra ‘nursery’ space for the two soon-expected foals. The main area remains the same but I am creating a foal-friendly space with a lower roof height, so the adults cannot ‘corner’ the foals. There will be a wooden bar at foal height to prevent the adults entering the last two metres of the stable.
Matilde and Ruby, who have been excluded from their stable for the past twenty-four hours, are watching the whole process intently. They stand and stare at the rebuilding work, fretting perhaps that I have decided to move in to the property myself and evict them! So each stage of the process is marked by explaining it to the donkeys, cuddling them and reassuring them it will be theirs again soon. Meanwhile, the pregnant mums roll in the dust, showing off their big round tummies. I just like to imagine the tumbling muddle of lanky legs, big floppy ears and soft hooves of the little foal inside.